Spooky, October-Infused Fuse 8 n’ Kate: Millions of Cats by Wanda Gag ft. James Kennedy
It’s time for the sweetest little tale of kitty cannibalism ever to grace our gentle bookshelves! And best of all, this very special episode of the podcast comes with a very special guest! Yes indeed we poached James Kennedy, author of The Order of Odd-Fish and creator of the 90-Second Newbery Film Festival to take a trip over from my husband’s podcast (The Secrets of Story) to join us in the basement instead. If you’ve ever wanted to know what I keep down there (mwah-ha-ha!) or have ever thought to yourself “What would a one-man acapella rendition of the Fuse 8 n’ Kate theme song really sound like?” your questions are all about to be answered! And as James says so accurately about this book, “Of all of the children’s books, maybe all the books ever written, this one has the highest body count.” Or, as Kate called it, “Hunger Games but cats!!” Listen to the whole show here on Spotify or down load it through iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or your preferred method of podcast selection.
- Please be so good as to read The Order of Odd Fish by James Kennedy. SLJ called it “depraved”! How many YA novels can you say THAT about?
Unrelated but I really loved this fan art, which I located while trying to find this book jacket.
- The 90-Second Newbery Film Festival is James’s baby. Kids make 90-second (approximately) videos of Newbery Award and Honor books and then James travels around the country showing them in his film festival. Honestly, for a kid to see their video up on the big screen, there’s nothing to compare to that. Newest and latest submissions are due on January 12th.
- This is my favorite voice Kate has done. EVER.
- Old man who looks like a gnome.
- Personally, I believe the kitties are related to the Princess in Black book about the Hungry Bunny Hoard:
- So who is the John Travolta kitty? See if you can spot him:
- Found him?
- A cat getting fatter and fatter = the lunar phases.
- I highly recommend you read the Top 100 Picture Books poll post on Millions of Cats. It contains lots of good facts that I wasn’t able to work into this podcast episode.
- Millions of Cats done in Minecraft. Pretty darn accurate.
- The ABC Bunny video of the song. Oh boy. Not getting out of my head now.
- Kate and her medal from her 5K!
- The trailer for the film Battle of the Sexes
- Oh boy. Okay, from James Kennedy he mentions the following: Yacht Rock, Channel 101, and finally his actually suggestion which was the podcast Beyond Yacht Rock (including Divorcecore).
- Be sure you listen for the post-credits extra.
- And, as ever, if you have feedback just contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Filed under: Fuse 8 n' Kate
About Betsy Bird
Betsy Bird is currently the Collection Development Manager of the Evanston Public Library system and a former Materials Specialist for New York Public Library. She has served on Newbery, written for Horn Book, and has done other lovely little things that she'd love to tell you about but that she's sure you'd find more interesting to hear of in person. Her opinions are her own and do not reflect those of EPL, SLJ, or any of the other acronyms you might be able to name. Follow her on Twitter: @fuseeight.
SLJ Blog Network
BLUE FLOATS AWAY Turns Two!
Faced with a Parenting Dilemma? Write a Book About It! Jacob Grant Comes By to Talk About NO FAIR
Review: Swim Team
Post-It Note Reviews: Wish granters, brotherly mischief, a high-stakes scavenger hunt, and more!
The Classroom Bookshelf is Moving