Fusenews: Pretty Pretty Pictures
Ron Hogan over at Galleycat‘s been getting all kooky over the current trend of showing just the backs of women’s heads on adult fiction. What happens in one sphere tends to spill over into another, in my experience. I’m blanking on most of the covers I’ve seen out there recently, but in terms of children’s literature two of my Newbery Honors certainly come to mind:
What are the others you can think of?
Hungry for Hogwarts? I mean, literally feel a rumble in your tum for some sweet sweet Hogwarts? Alison Morris at ShelfTalker (who also has a persnickety RSS feed these days, so I’m not alone) located this delicious tidbit just this week. Behold the edible Hogwarts.
Says Alison: "A Spellcast interview with Duff reveals what’s beneath that frosted exterior: one part of the cake is chocolate, another yellow cake, one marble, and one strawberry shortcake . . . The entire cake ‘sculpture’ took about two weeks to create and decorate. Roughly 80% of what you see is edible and the remaining 20% is food grade PVC pipe, which is used to hold up various elements of the structure." Mmmmm. PVC.
In the world of children’s literary blogging, I imagine that it would be very cool if you were to create a blog with an Ellen Raskin slant. We’ve already Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of Oz, and Harry Potter influenced sites. Raskin would be like the Dorothy Parker of the blogosphere world. Along those lines, Crooked House recently posted a Raskin influenced piece, complete with a portrait of the woman by fourth-graders.
It’s Magic Week over at Adam Rex’s blog. That means that he’s been posting some Magic: The Gathering art that until now has ne’er seen the light o’ the internet.
Neil Gaiman recently posted the Chris Riddell illustrated children’s book cover of his new The Graveyard Book. Neat-o.
Collecting Children’s Books recently put up what I can only call the coolest dedication I’ve ever seen a children’s illustrator make in a book. And it’s Don Freeman, of all people too!
The UK’s Ten Best New Illustrators were announced by Michael Rosen at the Children’s Book Fair in Bologna a couple days ago. They are:
If you’d like to see their work en masse and you happen to be in London between April 17th and May 3rd, stop on by the Illustration Cupboard in London. Thanks so much to Achockablog for the link.
And finally, Shelf Elf linked to an object that has me split in two. On the one hand, the librarian in me cringes at the idea of books and the bath getting this cozy. On the other hand think of the space my New York apartment would save!
Filed under: Fusenews
About Betsy Bird
Betsy Bird is currently the Collection Development Manager of the Evanston Public Library system and a former Materials Specialist for New York Public Library. She has served on Newbery, written for Horn Book, and has done other lovely little things that she'd love to tell you about but that she's sure you'd find more interesting to hear of in person. Her opinions are her own and do not reflect those of EPL, SLJ, or any of the other acronyms you might be able to name. Follow her on Twitter: @fuseeight.
SLJ Blog Network
U.S. Gov: ‘All Books Must Have Round Corners’
Review of the Day – Bear and Bird: The Picnic and Other Stories by Jarvis
Review: Swim Team
Write What You Know. Read What You Don’t, a guest post by Lauren Thoman
The Classroom Bookshelf is Moving