Post Stardust Haze
- The Wizard of Oz is up for a new theatrical interpretation all thanks to one Todd McFarlane. No, it isn’t good news. Here’s a lovely quote found in Variety. " ‘… Dorothy as some bondage queen isn’t something I want to do,’ Olson told Daily Variety. ‘The appealing thing about the Baum books to me is how wildly imaginative they are. There are crazy characters from amazing places. I want this to be ‘Harry Potter’ dark, not ‘Seven’ dark’." That reassuring note aside, check out the picture that Leila Roy was brave enough to put on her website regarding the action figures this movie will be based on. Looks like my bleeding eyeballs are back.
- There’s a new The True Meaning of Smekday website up and running just in time for its release. Goodies include a lovely training video, animation of how Boovs run (no word yet on how they saunter), a selection from the book, and more. Fun and mandatory, to paraphrase another.
- Gail Gauthier is having a book give away contest in tandem with the upcoming school season. This is a smart idea. Back to school books practically sell/borrow as well as those of the holiday persuasion.
- And now some fun with numbers. One in four of us (by "us" I mean "American type persons") didn’t crack a book this year. Year. Year year year year year. Hello, wall! Would you like me to bang my head against you with a kind of superhuman fervor? Don’t mind if I do!
- And finally, a question. Is this the blog of yet another Queens librarian? Hard to say. She is coy, this one. I’ll put her alongside Pinot and Prose (who recently had a very interesting post about an unconventional Cinderella book coming out) for now. My search for fellow public children’s librarians in the five boroughs continues.
Filed under: Uncategorized
About Betsy Bird
Betsy Bird is currently the Collection Development Manager of the Evanston Public Library system and a former Materials Specialist for New York Public Library. She has served on Newbery, written for Horn Book, and has done other lovely little things that she'd love to tell you about but that she's sure you'd find more interesting to hear of in person. Her opinions are her own and do not reflect those of EPL, SLJ, or any of the other acronyms you might be able to name. Follow her on Twitter: @fuseeight.
SLJ Blog Network