New Fuse 8 n’ Kate Episode: Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss
When we recorded this episode I had no idea that Dr. Seuss easy readers would become such a hotbed of controversy, all thanks to the story of the librarian that refused a recent “gift” from Melania Trump. Had we but known, we would have touched on that element as well. Or maybe I should have gone with Cat in the Hat. There is a LOT to talk about with that right now. As it stands, I wanted to pair the last episode’s worst Dr. Seuss book with one that was much better, but also banned somewhere. By sheer luck, this book was not included in the Trump list of ten Seuss donations (which included Seuss-isms!; Because a Little Bug Went KaChoo; What Pet Should I Get?; The Cat in the Hat; I Can Read with My Eyes Shut!; One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish; The Foot Book; Wacky Wednesday; Green Eggs and Ham; and Oh, the Places You’ll Go!). Phew! Feel like a bullet just flew past my ear.
And hey! We’re now on Stitcher! Now if I can only figure out how to get on Google Play we’ll have the trifecta in place.
Listen to this episode in full here.
- I can’t believe I’d never thought to ask Kate to do a Valley Girl voice before. Point to her.
- The upside down picture:
- Pup is from The Grinch? Let us compare and contrast with Max:
Nope. Not seeing it.
- The night fight:
- Jim is after him
- The bees
- Which, naturally, makes me think of these horrifying Smurf Rage Zombies. I am pleased to announce that ComingSoon.net had exactly the same reaction to the episode that I did and even makes a very strong case for why this story originally (in comic form) preceded George Romero’s zombies by years. You can even watch the episode there. I won’t. I’m still scarred for life.
- Sad Dad
- Washington State University says that any spelling of “good-by” is legitimate and that “goodbye” is simply the most popular right now.
- Is that Ted Geisel?
The jury is still out.
- Cruelty against pops
- Here, for your reading enjoyment, is the fully written complaint against Hop On Pop.
- The cozy company of Mr. Black:
- I make mention of the fact that Minh Le is a fellow Nibling. If you wish to follow The Niblings on our Facebook page you may do so here.
- Here is Minh Le’s full post on Hop On Pop. One of my favorite things he’s ever written.
- By the way, I love how we sound like Mr. Peabody in this bit.
- I propose that this is a flaw in the book!
- All the Dirty Parts by Daniel Handler
- Kate’s magnificently cool skirt can be purchased here.
- Goodnight, kids.
Filed under: Fuse 8 n' Kate
About Betsy Bird
Betsy Bird is currently the Collection Development Manager of the Evanston Public Library system and a former Materials Specialist for New York Public Library. She has served on Newbery, written for Horn Book, and has done other lovely little things that she'd love to tell you about but that she's sure you'd find more interesting to hear of in person. Her opinions are her own and do not reflect those of EPL, SLJ, or any of the other acronyms you might be able to name. Follow her on Twitter: @fuseeight.
SLJ Blog Network